Sunday, February 15, 2009

SF Beer Week Part 5: Kellerbier and Stout Brulee


Saturday found me serving as designated driver to several wineries in Sonoma. Rainy, lightly cold and a rather winding adventure, the highlight of the day for me was being treated to a meal and a beer at Hopmonk Tavern in beautiful downtown Sebastopol. A mid sized tavern, the real treat seemed like summer days and evenings on the patio. Nonetheless, the meal was fantastic. I got the Hopmonk Kellerbier, an unfiltered Pilsner taken from the cellar before lagering, and the Ham and Cheese with Tomato Bisque soup. They paired quite well together, the savory ham and cheese with the creamy soup and rather sweet Kellerbier. They also had a Pale ale and Dunkelwizen on tap, along with a handful of local and exotic favorites. I'm assuming this is THE place to drink beer in Sebastopol.

Hopmonk Kellerbier
unfiltered Pilsner

Nose of toast, grain, light sweetness and apple. Hazy yellow to light gold in color, medium to light body. Biscuit, light malt, grain, light citrus hops. Medium finish. Lingeringly too sweet. 3.4


The main treat may have been a Stout Brulee featuring North Coast's Old 38 Stout. Crystalized sugar on top with a rich, chocolately and creamy pudding beneath, almost like cross between creme brulee and mousse.


1 comment:

  1. Glad you found it. Hopmonk is my favorite, and the Kellerbier is my favorite there. (And since I'm going to be there Sun night, I now look forward to my new favorite, this Old 38 creme brulee, which is funny, since I'll be at North Coast Sat. night).

    ReplyDelete